Monday, July 24, 2006

Dripping darkness

I found myself trapped underground, in a cold, damp, dripping tunnel of monstrous proportions. There was very little chance of my feet staying dry, as the floor of the tunnel was a flowing, brackish river of sorts. Tiny, perfectly round stepping-stones sprung up in the most arbitrary of places, making it a challenge to get anywhere. I had the distinct impression that the water below me was at least as deep as the ceiling was tall, and as the tunnel was at least 5 stories tall, I felt the cold hand of fear grip my heart every time I left one tiny step-stone to gain purchase on another...one false move would certainly plunge me into the depths of the murky waters.

There was a strange, sweet smell of cookies baking...delicious, tempting, and rather fleeting. My stomach began to growl, so I decided to follow my nose. However precarious my position might have been, I felt as though I hadn't eaten in days, weeks, and the scent of freshly-baked cookies served as quite the motivator.

As I ambled my fearful way toward the delectable fragrance, music began to play...eerie, delightful music...sad and haunting, but at the same time hopeful, wistful, reaching out for something greater (I really wish I could remember how it went...it's like nothing I've ever heard)...this melancholy tune ribboned its way around me, almost as though it were also in pursuit of the delicious phantom cookies.

The tempo quickened, and I found myself leaping over the water -- my heart in my throat with every flying leap -- balancing delicately on every small stone, miraculously still afloat in the tunnel. I began to smell the fragrance more strongly with every leap...the music became wild, dance-like (reminiscent of Paganini), and suddenly I saw a large, bejeweled door suspended in front of me in the air. I took a moment to gaze in wonder at the sapphires, emeralds, and amythests that served as an extravagant border to the large silver door...and then the music made as though it was knocking (think Beethoven's 5th), and the door swung open. I leapt inside, glancing about for the cookies, and heard the door swing shut behind me. I found a basket of cookies on a large wooden table and grabbed one, mouth watering.

I had scarcely taken a bite when I found myself lifted of the ground by monstrous hands...this was a giant's kitchen, and he swooped me up and ate me in one rank bite. I felt the searing pain of my ribcage being crushed, felt the foul-smelling darkness surrounding me, and then I woke up, sweating and fearful--and my back seriously hurt.

No comments: