Friday, July 14, 2006

Interrupted Dream-Imaginings

I dreamed last night that I lived in a tiny cabin. This cabin just happened to be in a jar, and the jar was filled with sea creatures that threatened to devour me if I didn't close the back door of the cabin tightly enough.

As if that weren't agitating enough, there was this guy who lived next door who was helping me write a song, and he wanted to hide a bearskin filled with gold in my back closet. So we hid it, and then he suggested that we open the backdoor to make sure his wife wasn't worried about him...and sure enough, when the door opened, she was walking with their little girl in her arms, and when she saw him with me, she was very upset. She ran over to the door, and along with her came some of the scary, hungry sea creatures...they started to slither in the room.

So the infidel decides to close the door, but instead of having balls enough to do it himself, he starts ordering me to close the door and bolt it tightly. It's a pretty complicated mechanism, and I'm not quite strong enough in the dream to make it work...and his wife is on the other side of the door, banging on it, which makes the bolt start to loosen and fall off the door, and mr. stupid keeps yelling at me to close the door...I just did what I could to close the door.

When the bolt finally fell off the door with a CLANK on the cabin's rustic hardwood floor, I had had just about enough of mr. whinypants, so I whipped the door open and said, "Talk to your wife, she's upset."

When his wife saw me, she handed their little girl to me and proceeded to beat the shit out of the infidel, yelling and cursing at him. Apparently she had known about the gold-filled bearskin and she wasn't very happy about his hiding it. I caught something about "passing the curse on to this innocent woman!" and figured the bearskin must be cursed. "Haha," I thought, "This whole island is cursed, we're stuck in a bottle with sea monsters, for god's sake!"

One of the scary sea creatures actually slithered up to the little girl and me and started hissing her a lullaby. It was very haunting music...like nothing I'd ever heard before. It's times like these that I wish I could record my dreams and catch the things I hear on paper.

I woke up without remembering how the dream ended...I don't think it really had time to end, it felt more like a snapshot of my unconscious.

No comments: