Thursday, October 09, 2008

Growth as a Musician

I've been teaching a beginner class on Saturdays--

1: 5-year-old boy violinist
1: 6-year-old boy violinist
1: 11-year-old girl cellist
1: 15-year-old boy bassist

All of the above are from the same family. They have 8 kids and one due Dec 7. Happy family!

And then I have one more:

1: 11-year-old cellist.

They are all beginners... and it is so much fun! I'm learning not to fail boat quite so much, I'm learning to map out my time and save my time and make sure they get essential knowledge... now I just need to add the element of fun!

I'm teaching lessons to the oldest three from this class, as well as a 16-year-old girl bassist. It's a lot of fun for me to see them grow and learn new things in just a half an hour.

***

I've also expanded my "free rehearsals" to the Dexter Community Orchestra, as well as the Ypsilanti Symphony. I find the music more challenging, and the people are much nicer. My role is now one of being the one with knowledge to share. I know a lot about the pieces and the performance styles, as well as technical skills, and I can pass that on to my fellow bassists. I love this role for now, and it will help me get in shape and become a "real" bassist who practices her part until it is perfect.

I've really been lax in my personal development, and all these things I've been doing lately are helping me to grow into myself more.

I love life.

No comments: